the gates of hell

the gates of hell
The Gates of Hell

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Bright spots as October darkens

Today I'm posting a few photos of plants that are brightening my garden as October darkens. In the devil garden, the Tiger Eyes sumac is catching on fire (the gargoyle doesn't seem concerned).

The Harlequin Glorybower (Clerodendrum trichotomum) is living up to its name. My favorite tree still has a few white jasmine-scented flowers, but is mostly displaying magenta and teal.


 


Yesterday's hard rain pushed the Eupatoriam rugosum 'Chocolate' (chocolate stems/leaves and bright white flowers) over on top of the purple vinca, happily resulting in a sloppy pile of bright color.


 
Another aster that's just covered in flowers now, Aster lateriflorus 'Lady in Black' (calico aster).


2 comments:

  1. Tiger Eyes sumac and Harlequin Glorybower are two plants I wish were in my garden. Thankfully there are some planted nearby so. I can pretend they're mine. You chose well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, though I can't take credit for the original Clerodendrum (the one in these photos), it was living here long before I was. But I have propagated it to my front yard (it became a good-sized flowering tree in approx 6 years) and have given offspring to friends and family. I'd like to see a lot more of them around. I have new plants most years, if you or others would like one.

      Delete