the gates of hell

the gates of hell
The Gates of Hell

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Se7en signs of spring

Too many fabulous signs of spring to count; but here are se7en (in a pathetic attempt to link to the theme):

1. The Giant Himalayan Lily (Cardiocrinum giganteum) looks magnificent, and is developing several offsets and a stalk, so perhaps it will bloom this year. If it does, it will serve as the angel on high, towering over the devil garden (flowering stalks can reach 8-12 feet high).
2. Devil garden tulips, blooms are impending, but the variegated foliage is so fabulous, I'm already thrilled. Tulipa greigii 'Fire of Love' on the left and Tulipa acuminata 'Fire Flame' on the right.
   

3. Fritillaria persica (Persian lily), about a foot high so far, gorgeous blue-grey foliage.
 4. Spring foliage in many colors and forms. (Click on the photo for a better view of these plants.)

5. Podophyllum pleianthum (the podophyllum delavayi is MIA, I really hope it shows up)
 6. Early flowers! Clematis koreana and of course the Mt Fuji cherry, in glorious bloom.



 7. Hungry chickadees, taking turns at the feeder.


2 comments:

  1. Ah...that Fritillaria persica foliage is to die for. I love it so much!!! Why haven't I planted any? Oh and my Podophyllum delavayi is always the last to show up. I think I just saw it peeking out of the ground today, whereas the others are already up and opening. There is still hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing about the delavayi! I've been rather concerned, now hope is renewed. This is the first year I'm growing the persica, I'm excited about it. I also planted a F. raddeana at the same time last fall...no sign of that one yet.

      Delete